Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member Jimmy DIY's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn?For Example, if I connect it into a WE15A horn, will it work down to 150 Hz as well as the WE555 diver do?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    If you look at 555 diaphragms, they appear to be similar in size & construction to Altec 802
    (see pictures here: audio pag speakers - as you can see by these pictures, there's nothing special with the 555. Some 555s have vented backwave (555W I think) for lower resonance (and fullrange service ?)

    The 288 must have an even lower resonance than an 802 or 555 , so if you can provide enough horn loading, then you can go down to bass. I have listened to a 16A with 555 and heard bass of around 70 or 80 HZ. I want to try this with 802s & 902s that I have once I construct a monster horn.

    I once listened to a repro pre-war RCA compression driver running down to below 100 Hz on a suitable horn (picture)(best low midrange I've ever heard)

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    As noted, the WE15A is designed for a 1" throat, so you'd have to truncate it to fit a 1.4" driver to it, raising its cut-off. Anyway, the 288's PWT performance implies a theoretical 9 Hz cut-off, so yes, properly loaded it can be XO'd well below 500 Hz if the horn is long enough with a large enough mouth to protect it, i.e. for a 2nd order XO it ideally needs to load an octave below the XO point.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    Also, delicate headphone 'phragms - be they mylar or metalized - run full range no problem, The reason: low power drive. I just quick tested a 902-8B (for a theater today) full range by hooking it to an amp and listening close to the ear with minimal drive it sounded good on a talk radio program but had lots of natural bass rolloff.

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member Jimmy DIY's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    Hi Horn Savant,
    That's what I think if you can provide enough horn loading,why 288 can't down under 500Hz as well as WE555? Thank you very much for your answer!

    I found a WE22A horn replica that can help to provide enough horn loading to 288 or 802s & 902s(with modify adaptor), the manufacturer use it in a RCA MI-1428 replica that down to 150Hz,if you interested in it,please PM me and I send you the link.

    Rgds

    Jimmy

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member Jimmy DIY's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    As noted, the WE15A is designed for a 1" throat, so you'd have to truncate it to fit a 1.4" driver to it, raising its cut-off. Anyway, the 288's PWT performance implies a theoretical 9 Hz cut-off, so yes, properly loaded it can be XO'd well below 500 Hz if the horn is long enough with a large enough mouth to protect it, i.e. for a 2nd order XO it ideally needs to load an octave below the XO point.

    GM
    Hi GM,

    I think no people will truncate the WE15A horn to fit the 288 driver because the WE15A much more expensive than the 288! I found a cheap WE22A horn replica that provided 1" and 1.5" throat to fit various drivers. The size is small enough to go through the door in normal apartment! That's the reason why I consider it.

    Rgds

    Jimmy

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    In tests I did, I found the Altec 1" drivers had better LF performance than the bigger 288s.
    I used a larger rear cavity (lower resonance)(a long polypropylene pouring jug stuffed with wool for no back wave reflections and crossed over at 250 hz (4th order) to 511s (tho a bigger horn would have been better I suppose). A whole new world of lower midrange magic.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    i saw an add one time only for a horn setup for ale drivers. it was a mono job, but the horn mouth was huge, as was the length. it was on the bay and only the horn was for sale. havent seen anything like it since, but the guy claimed pure bass bliss. i cant imagine this being a full range system tho. anyone with more pics? anyone ever run a 288 through hornresp? i just downloaded hornresp, and, i think i need a crash course or maybe lots more free time.
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    ... i just downloaded hornresp, and, i think i need a crash course or maybe lots more free time.
    I doubt if there is such a thing as a crash course. The newer help files are greatly improved, but from my experience, you need to already have a full grasp of all the elements (and I don't). The program just saves lots of recalculations every time you change a parameter.

    A good primer would be to simulate a well-documented, existing system until you get results that approach the real thing. Even that ain't easy.

    I'm known for being stubborn, but I gave up on that one. (The wheels fell off and burned).

    May the force be with you.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Can I cross the 288 driver under 500Hz in a proper horn

    FWIW, the various 'wizards' makes it pretty easy to use now. WRT inputting a compression driver into a simming program, accurately measuring its specs is no trivial pursuit due to it being so well damped with a tiny Vas and ultra low Qes, not mention measuring the front chamber's volume and effective throat, so good luck with that.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.